Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs)

  1. General Information
  2. Student Exchange Programs
  3. Visiting Faculty Program
  4. Visa and Other Legal Requirements for Study
  5. Academic Concerns
  6. Spiritual Activities, Student Organizations, and University Dress Code
  7. Banking and Getting a Driver's License
  8. Authentication of University Records


    1. Which office at DLSU handles international students’ concerns?
      The International Center (IC), under the External Relations and Internationalization Office (ERIO), handles the non-academic concerns of international students like orientation programs, visa services, information and advising, and the like. IC is located at the second floor of St. Joseph Building, Room 207.

    2. How do I make an appointment if I need to consult with an IC Officer?
      The IC service hours is from 8:00am to 12:00nn and 1:00pm to 5:00pm from Monday to Friday. On Saturdays, IC is open only until 12:00 p.m. To make an appointment, visit IC and personally set an appointment with the concerned International Student Advisor. It is also possible to make an appointment online by sending an email to Specify your preferred day and time of visit and the name of the IS Advisor you want to make an appointment with. You may also indicate the nature or purpose of the consultation.

    3. Who are the Staff of the International Center and how would I know whom to look for?
      Please refer to this link: International Center Staff

    4. Is a dual citizen considered an international student?
      No, dual citizens are considered Filipinos at De La Salle University.

    5. Is the tuition fee different for international and Filipino students?
      No, it is the same.


    1. Where can I get information about Student Exchange Programs (SEP)?
      All pertinent information related to SEP, from the application procedures to the qualification and criteria for selection of successful applicants are available at the Global link of the DLSU Website ( All interested students are welcome to visit the IC for further details about the available exchange programs.

    2. When is the SEP open for application?
      Application period starts after IC has received invitation from partner universities abroad. It is usually sent 6 months before the start of either the Fall Semester (August/September) or Spring Semester (January/February/March).

    3. How do I apply for SEP?
      All currently enrolled students are qualified to apply in any SEP as long as they meet the minimum criteria set for each specific Program. Once an opening is available, a posting at the DLSU HELPDESK is released. Specific details of each Program can also be found at this link –

    4. Which countries/universities are open for SEP?

    5. How many times can I avail of the opportunity to be an exchange student under the SEP?
      A student can only avail of the SEP once for the entire duration of his/her study at DLSU.


    1. I just went as a visiting faculty to one of our partner institutions last year. How soon after can I apply again to another or the same partner institution?
      The University would like to give as many faculty as possible the opportunity to go as a visiting faculty upon the invitation of our partner institutions. As such the University does not encourage a faculty to go as a visiting faculty on consecutive years unless this is specifically requested by the partner institution.

    2. Does the visiting faculty program cover round trip airfare to the partner institution?
      In some cases, the partner institution provides airfare to our faculty. In general though, DLSU does not provide airfare. If the host university will not provide airfare, then the faculty will have to shoulder this on his own.

    3. While I am a visiting faculty in a partner institution, will I continue to receive my salary at DLSU?
      A faculty on sabbatical or research leave who goes as a visiting faculty to a partner institution still receives his salary from DLSU.


    1. What visas are accepted for study at DLSU?
      Aside from Student Visa (9f), there are other visas accepted for study at DLSU. Follow this link for details:

    2. I have a tourist visa, how can I convert to Student Visa?
      Report to IC for advise on how to process a visa conversion. Bring your original passport, National Intelligence Coordinating Agency (NICA) Clearance, 4 pieces 2x2 picture with white background, and Medical Certificate from the Bureau of Quarantine. The complete list of requirements and procedure for Student Visa conversion can be found at this link – /students/international/

    3. I have a Pre-arranged Working visa as a dependent, can I use this visa until I graduate from the University?
      Yes, however when you reach twenty-one (21) years old, you are required to convert to Student Visa.

    4. What is Annual Report and why is it required for all international students?
      The Annual Report is the yearly reporting of all foreigners at the Bureau of Immigration. They are required to do this every year for registration purposes. The Annual Report costs Php310 and the student is required to submit a photocopy of the Official Receipt of the Annual Report at IC because this is one of the requirements for the extension of Student Visa. Failure to pay the Annual Report is a basis for denial of Student Visa extension application.

    5. How long is the validity of the Student Visa?
      The first issue of Student Visa is valid for one year and the Student Visa extension is valid for six (6) months. However, for the first extension of the Student Visa, the student is given an extension period that is shorter than 6 months (either January 15 or July 15, whichever is nearer to the expiry date of the Student Visa). Succeeding extensions follow the six-month validity period.

    6. How do I change from my Missionary Visa to Student Visa?
      The first step is to downgrade the Missionary/Pre-arranged visa to Tourist Visa. This process can be done at the Bureau of Immigration and it usually takes one to two weeks. After downgrading, the international student presents his/her original passport to IC for Student Visa conversion.

    7. I am a Cross-Enrollee and will study for two trimesters only, do I need a 9f?
      No, cross-enrollees and those who are enrolled in Special and Audit Classes are required to use a Special Study Permit for a maximum of two trimesters. If they will extend up to three trimesters, they will be required to process a Student Visa.

    8. Can I enroll at DLSU if my visa (which is neither 9f nor Special Study Permit) is still being processed?
      No, except for Student Visa and Special Study Permit, an approved visa is required prior to enrollment at DLSU. Please refer to this link:


    1. Who should I consult about my academic status or enrollment problems?
      Go to your Vice Dean or Academic Officer in your College/School. Academic matters like number of failures, academic standing, ineligibility and the like are concerns that can be discussed thoroughly by the Academic Officer with the international student.

    2. When does an international student become ineligible to enroll?
      An upperclassman who obtains a CGPA of less than 1.000 at the end of the Term 3 of any academic year of residence at DLSU may no longer re-enroll. For a freshman, the CGPA is computed at the end of the three consecutive trimesters starting from the term of entry, notwithstanding LOA. (Reference: DLSU Student Handbook, Sec. 4.18, p. 105)

    3. I need help with my English proficiency, where should I go?
      The Center for Language and Lifelong Learning (CeLL) has non-academic language programs catering to students who are interested in improving and honing their English proficiency skills of listening, speaking, reading and writing. For the CeLL website, check this link:

    4. Are there alternative classes in lieu of Tagalog-taught subjects?
      There are alternative classes that international students may choose to enroll in lieu of the required Tagalog-taught courses. FILKOMU or Komunikasyon sa Filipinolohiya, and KASPIL or Kasaysayan ng Pilipinas are required Tagalog-taught courses for all students. These Tagalog-taught courses have English alternative classes which the international student may enroll in. The procedure in enrolling for alternative or special classes in BASIFI and/or KASPIL can be viewed in this link:

    5. What should I do when my teachers speak Tagalog in class?
      English is the medium of instruction at De La Salle University. However, there are required Filipino and Tagalog-taught classes for all students, both local and international. For these classes, international students have an option to enroll in equivalent special or alternative classes. Please refer to this link for more details:

      If teachers are using Tagalog to teach English-based courses, or are using Tagalog most of the time that international students can no longer understand what is going on inside the classroom, the students are encouraged to get the teachers’ attention and courteously remind them of the international students’ presence in class. If after doing this the teacher still continues with the use of Tagalog during class lectures and discussions, the international students can visit the International Center and report this incident to the IC Unit Head. The IC Unit Head shall assist the international student with this concern. Students may also email their concerns at


    1. I am a Christian. Where can my friends and I go for our group prayer meeting on campus?*
      De La Salle University affirms the right of every person to exercise his or her faith and hopes that each will grow and become true Lasallians for God and country. Given the new spaces provided for us by the Henry Sy Sr Hall, there are many places now that a small faith community can utilize for prayer and bible sharing. For Catholic groups wishing to reserve a classroom or other facilities for such purposes, a clearance should be secured first with the Lasallian Pastoral Office.

    2. Where can non-Catholics go for silent individual prayers and meditation?*
      There are at least three chapels in the University that could be a good place to reflect and meditate. The Chapel of the Most Blessed Sacrament located at the 2nd Floor, South Wing of the La Salle Hall, the Pearl of Great Price Chapel located at the ground floor of La Salle Hall, and the Chapel of Christ the Teacher at the 14th Floor Br. Andrew Gonzales Hall. Though these areas are places where Catholics gather together for worship, they too are open to all who wish to have some quiet reflection and prayer.

    3. Why are international students required to attend religious activities in LASARE (Lasallian Retreat) that are outside of our faith?*
      LASARE courses are required subjects and part of the academic requirements of the University. Though these programs sound too Catholic for some, they are in fact deeply rooted in the Lasallian tradition of building the values of faith, service and communion in every Lasallian. Admittedly, the programs contain elements from the Catholic faith, e.g. confession and mass, because DLSU is a Catholic University. But the LASARE programs are intended to build Lasallians who are persons of faith, service and communion and not to force anyone to believe in God or to be converted to Catholic Church. This is the reason why La Salle schools thrive in non-Christian countries. Lasallian education is open to all and very inclusive. So do too the Lasallian formation programs of the University, particularly LASARE.

      (*Source: Lasallian Pastoral Office)

    4. What benefits do I get from joining student organizations on campus?
      There are currently thirty-six (36) recognized student organizations on campus. These organizations are officially supervised and monitored by the Office of Student LIFE. International students are also encouraged to actively join in these organizations. UNISTO, or the United International Students Organization is focused on the adjustment, integration and development of international students studying at De La Salle University. Its goal is to develop and enhance the social and cultural connections between international students and the rest of the DLSU community – teachers, administrators, personnel and the rest of the local students. Aside from formal and informal interactions with Filipinos and fellow international students, joining organizations will open opportunities for international students to be more involved in co-curricular activities on and off-campus.

    5. Are international students covered by the University dress code?
      All students are covered by the University dress code. The DLSU Student Handbook specifically states that students are “encouraged to use attires that consider the educational character of the University and the sensibility of other members of the academic community” (Section 4: Social Norms, p.45). Please refer to the implementing guidelines of the University Dress Code Policy, with the list of inappropriate campus attire, at the Appendix Z of the DLSU Student Handbook.


    1. How do I open a bank account?
      For individual bank account, it's best to call the particular bank first or check their website to find out what their specific requirements are. Generally, these will be:
      • 2 Valid IDs. These can be your passport, driver's license from your home country, locally issued IDs, and other IDs that have your picture, signature and address on them, including your ACR I-Card (Alien Certificate of Registration Card) if you have one.
      • ID pictures (1x1 or 2x2)

    2. Can I convert my foreign driver’s license into Philippine driver’s license?
      Yes. If valid, no exams. If expired subject to written / practical exams.

    3. I had a Philippine driver’s license before I went abroad. Could I still use it upon arrival in the Philippines? Which license am I going to use? My foreign driver’s license or any Philippine driver’s license?
      If both are valid, you can use any of the two driver’s license. Chapter III, Sec. 21 of the Republic Act (RA) 4136, otherwise known as the “Land Transportation and Traffic Code” states that:. “Bonafide tourists and similar transients who are duly licensed to operate motor vehicles in their respective countries may be allowed to operate during but not after (90) days of their sojourn in the Philippines.”


    1. Where can I go for the authentication of my Diploma, Transcript, and other school records?
      In order to obtain documents authenticated by Commission of Higher Education (CHED) and/or Department of Foreign Affairs (DFA), request must be processed at the Enrollment Services Hub (Counters 1 to 4). Bring the following:
      • Original Transcript of Records
      • *Certified True Copy of your Diploma

        *A certified true copy document is a photocopy of the original document marked “Certified True Copy of the Original” and signed by the University Registrar.

    2. How long does it take to process?
      Request for certified true copy will be processed for four working days. To allow the Office of the University Registrar (OUR) to process your request, the original copy and the photocopy (which will be stamped) must be presented at the Enrollment Services Hub (Counters 1 to 4). OUR office can also photocopy the original document for you.

      The cost of a certified true copy documents is as follows:

      With photocopying - P20.00 per page
      Without photocopying - P10.00 per page

      The cost of the CHED/DFA Authentication is Php150.00. The claim stub will be released at the Front Desk after 18 working days and the authenticated documents will be claimed personally by the student at DFA.

    For further questions and inquiries, you may send an email to or visit the International Center located at St. Joseph Hall, Room 207. You may also call at (02)525-67-27 or (02)524-46-11 local 289.

    Please check the GLOBAL Website for international students at this link:

    The International Center maintains a Facebook page at this link:

    (This FAQs is revised as of October 2014)